Monday, January 3, 2011

Second Semester AP Language and Composition...and so it begins!

Hello wonderful AP Langers!
I am thrilled to have you in class this semester. I love reading and writing, and I love that my job as a teacher allows me to share this with you. This is my last semester at Wheeler High School and I'm determined to make it the best semester yet. I'm so excited about the opportunity to get to know you.

Here's are some links to the documents handed out the first day of school:
1. AP Language and Composition Syllabus Spring 2011.
2. What is sure to become your most used piece of material in this course: Ms. Wheatley's Handy Guide to Rhetorical Strategies.
Tone and Diction.
Read and analyze Leonard Pitts, Jr.'s "A Twisted Joke on a Teen Girl." You need to identify the tone, audience and purpose (and give supporting citations) as well as analyze how effective the piece was in conveying the purpose.

Remember to purchase the books for the course as soon as possible so you can save money and be prepared.
We'll start "A Girl Named Zippy" next week. There are enough classroom copies, so you don't need to purchase this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment