Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Quickwrite and More on Zippy

Some notes about the theme of religion:

We didn't get to discuss this much in class today, but what Kimmel does a fantastic job of explaining her confusion about her religious beliefs in "Blood of the Lamb." Do you think Zippy's father is a positive or negative influence on her religious beliefs? He doesn't hide the fact that he hates church, but he doesn't support Zippy when she agrees with him.

p. 53: "I not only had to spend countless hours of my life worshipping a God I didn't believe in, I could even complain about it, whereas Dad just sat down in his chair and called it like he saw it."

p. 53 - 55: The anecdote about Kimmel's tricks ("I Can't Find My Other Shoe" and "I've Lost My Little Pink New Testament") to avoid church and her father's assertion that she still go.

p. 55: "When I think of getting up for church, it is always winter, but when I think of the actual walk...it is always a perfect summer day that will wither in my absence." Think about the contrast here between the symbolism of the seasons.

p. 60: The entire page provides an insight into the way Zippy views religion. What seem to be her cheif complaints at this point? Is this a natural child reaction?

Today in class:
We read "Tight Jeans and Chania Chorris" (NR, p. 304 - 308) and discussed how an author's skewed point of view can effect the way an audience reacts to a piece. The essay deals largely with Sonia Shah's conflict over her Indian and American cultures. Similarly, Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s "In the Kitchen" offers a glimpse into African American culture, centering on anecdotes about hair. (TAP this essay and answer question 4 on page 309).

Homework:
Read "Unexpected Injuries" through "Favors for Friends".

No comments:

Post a Comment